Thursday, April 7, 2011

Spring Blog Hop

Welcome to our Spring Blog Hop!  You will be seeing some beautiful projects along the way that should help you get  excited for spring.  :)

If you didn't arrive from Adele's blog, please go back to the start www.lovejoypaper.com 
(Amanda's blog) and go through the hop!


Spring has sprung and it's glorious!  Spring is my favourite season of all.  I love the newness of everything after a long winter.  The fresh smell in the air, the new babies in the animal world arriving, the tree budding out and the flowers blossoming - all of it just makes me happy.  Honestly, spring is what I miss most with living in a tropical climate.  Don't get me wrong; I love having fabulous winter weather, but not getting that fresh spring feeling makes me a little bit sad.

Spring flowers are some of the most beautiful.  I love their vibrant colours and the happiness they add to the landscape.  When I was young, my favourite flower was the wild crocus that we could find in the hills just outside my hometown.  They didn't last very long but they were so pretty - a little bit of beautiful purple poking through the brown grass.


Other favourites are tulips and daffodils.  Their beautiful colours simply make me smile.



When we lived in Chile, I loved the cherry blossoms when they came out in the spring and I tried to get photos every year.  They are just so beautiful and make my heart happy when I see them.  So, the layout I'm going to share with you is of some of my favourite photos of those blossoms.  I used the kit "French Summer" by Lynn Grieveson and I lifted this layout from a very talented scrapper, Beth.  Here's my layout:



And here's the LO from Beth that I scraplifted.  Isn't it pretty?



Since I've been talking about flowers, I thought I'd share a technique that I learned from my scrappy friend, Kirsten, over at Skrap 'n Chat.  She showed us how she made the cutest yarn flowers.  
First, you cut out a circle the size of the flower you want and choose the colour of yarn you want to work with.  I've actually done it with two colours and it turned out great too!


Then you put glue all over the circle.  Make sure you get to the very edge.


Start laying down the yarn along the outside edge of the circle and continue until you get to the centre and can't lay down any more.  Make sure not to have any gaps.  You can see a little blue showing through on the left side of my flower - maybe I should have used purple paper!



Finish it off by adding a button in the middle.  And voilà!  You have a beautiful flower!


Here's a layout I did earlier using a couple of these flowers.


I hope you enjoyed your stop here.  Next on the hop is Mandi.

Here is the order of the blog hop:

Amanda (starts here)
Dana  (You're here!)


19 comments:

Amanda Johnson said...

Those flowers are beautiful!! I love your layouts!!! I might have to lift those ones myself!! Thanks so much for the tutorial on those flowers!! I love the look of them :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful LO and pics, Dana!

Unknown said...

Love your LO!! The details are so beautiful!!

Ashley Horton said...

Dana, your lo is beautiful! Love all of the pretty colors. Thanks for the flower tutorial...those are so cute!

Heather Doolittle said...

LOVE YOUR FLOWER!!!! I will definately have to try this technique! :) Those pictures are absolutely BEAUTIFUL too! I am in awe at the beauty of the flowers...

Auntie Em said...

Hi Dana! Thanks for the link from SNC. Your LO is gorgeous. I love the cherry blossoms. Can't wait for the apple blossoms here on the East Coast.
Your yarn flower turned out so cute!
Thanks for sharing! :)

Caroleb said...

Loved all your LO. Loved the flower idea. I might have to try it.

Moongirl said...

Cute, cute, cute stuff! I love it all. I may have to lift your lift :)

Shanon said...

Beautiful layout Dana! I love the yarn flowers and think they would look adorable on some cards...maybe I will add them to my mom's Mother's Day card. Thanks for sharing how to make them!

Adele said...

Dana, I had no idea about the cherry blossoms in Chile! I obviously lived in the wrong area! Gorgeous photos.

Laurie said...

Dana--the yarn flower is so cute and deceptively simply! I love it. And I see further down in your blog that you've mastered Gloann's flowers . . . way cute!

Anonymous said...

Dana - love the pictures on your layout! I'm with you - I love spring flowers. Thank you for showing the yarn flower. I need to give those a try. Kathy-K2S

Becky (bfran55) said...

Cute flower! I may have to try that one. I love all the spring flowers as well and I always get excited when my crabapple tree blooms.

Kathy said...

Dana - Love the flower pics - GORGEOUS!! Also love your LOs. I am a follower here and on CK.

suzeyq said...

Cute yarn flowers! Will try that! Would be great for cards too! Loved the LO's you showcased also!

Becky said...

Those pictures are gorgeous!!! You have some great LO's, very pretty!! Love that yarn flower!! I love seeing new ways to make flowers and that's a nice easy one!

www.cricutcraftyclare.blogspot.com said...

Just found your blog through the CK boards and am following! Thanks for the embellishment tutorials!

Janice said...

HI Dana-
Hope all is well with you and your family. The cherry blossoms are out in full bloom here so I particularly loved your cherry blossom layout! I hadn't seen those yarn flowers before and am always looking for new ideas for handmade embellies so thanks!
janice

Snips and Snails said...

Beautiful layout and the flower is really cute!