Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Fun in the Sun

I did this challenge for Toree's July colour challenge - to use pink, yellow and brown on a layout.  To me, that's a hard colour combination but I always like doing the colour challenge as it stretches me and I  usually love the outcome.

I went through my photos and I found these photos of A and K at the beach.  Since K is in the picture, I thought that using a bit of pink would be OK and with them being beach pics, I instantly thought of using a sun.  Plus, her little sun hat had a touch of coral in it and her onesie was yellow.  So, it all worked.  I really like how it turned out but I wish I had placed my photos lower.  However, once you adhere the ATG glue, it's down for good.  So, it will have to stay this way, a little unbalanced but that's OK.


Here's a close-up of my sun.  I used a light yellow cardstock and then inked not only the edges but the whole piece for each section.  Then I stitched around the edges.  I'd never run into this before but I ended up having some sections where I finished on the top and not underneath.  I decided to knot the floss on top.  I figured out that I had an odd number of holes in those sections and that's why it happened.  Another thing to keep in mind while scrapping!  lol


None of the flowers I had worked with the layout so I ended up making my own.  I used one I have to make the shape and then cut them out of two different papers.  I used foam mounting tape to give it some dimension.


I wasn't sure what to do as the layout was missing a little something.  I decided to add a little bit of stitching and a button to finish it off.



Then, this past week, Erika's issue challenge was to use a sun on your layout.  Isn't that funny that I'd just thought of using a sun the week before?  :D


2 comments:

Steffanie said...

Nice! Love the giant sun and the stitched flowers!

Jennifer DeWolfe said...

Your stitching is so awesome! Really highlights the layout girl! Great job!